Putting In And Removing Contact Lenses
If you are new to contact lenses, there are two things that you will need to learn - putting your contacts in and taking them out. Even if you may have got in some practice with your optician during Read more...
Below, you'll find extensive
information on leading your eye surgery articles and products to help
you on your way to success.
Your Eye Surgery Report - Is Lasik Right For You?
Brought to you courtesy of FramesDirect.com and provided FREE of charge.
LASIK - stands for Laser in-Situ Keratomileusis
The Ideal Candidate
In general, the ideal candidate for LASIK is over 18 years of age and hashealthy corneas. Candidates must not have had a significant increase intheir prescription in the last 12 months. People with certain medicalconditions or women who are pregnant may not be good candidates for LASIK
The decision to have LASIK is an important one that ultimately, only youcan make. It is important that you have realistic expectations and thatyour decision is based on facts, not hopes or misconceptions. The goal ofLASIK is to reduce your dependence on corrective lenses. LASIK does notalways create 20/20 or even 20/40 vision. It cannot correct a conditionknown as presbyopia, or aging of the eye which normally occurs around age40 and which requires the use of reading glasses. In fact, people over 40who have their distance vision improved may find they need reading glassesafter the procedure.
What Are The Outcomes of LASIK?
Long term data as well as our recent findings reveal very positiveresults. LASIK has proven very effective in correcting a broad range ofmyopia, astigmatism and hyperopia. It has been reported that 92% ofpatients were corrected to 20/40 or better, and 88% were 20/20 for mildmyopia. For moderate and high myopia, 92% were still correctable to 20/40or better, of which 39% were correctable to 20/20. Results with excimerlaser have been consistent with these reports.
The procedure is designed to reduce nearsightedness, astigmatism andfarsightedness but it cannot stop the aging process and almost allparticipants will, in all likelihood, need reading glasses as they age.
What Are The Risks?
As with any surgical procedure, complications may occur. These are veryrare. However, they may include:
1. Improper Correction: The desired correction may not be achieved, orastigmatism may be induced.
Decrease in Best Corrected Visual Acuity: This is the best vision youcan achieve with glasses or contact lenses.
3. Glare: In the first few months you may experience problems with glareat night.
4. Halos: You may experience halos or hazy rings around bright lights atnight.
6. Corneal Scaring: This is extremely rare. A corneal scar may block yourvision.
7. Dislocated Corneal Cap: This may have to be sutured or even replacedresulting in a slower recovery of best corrected vision. This is extremelyrare.
8. Epithelial Ingrowth: During the healing process some surface cells maymigrate under the hinged flap. Often times this requires no attention;however, in some instances they must be removed.
What Are The Benefits Of LASIK?
1. Reduction of large amounts of nearsightedness and astigmatism andfarsightedness. Immediate restoration of uncorrected vision.
2. Minimal (usually less than 24 hours) visual recovery time.
3. Permancy of correction. Once the refractive error has been correctedthe result is stable.
4. Ability to engage in outdoor activities in which corrective lenses maybe cumbersome or restrictive.
5. Elimination of the time, expense and effort involved in maintaining andupdating contact lenses.
It's not for everyone, but when it works, it's great.
Talk it over with your eyecare professional. Good luck.
Better Vision Team
=============================================================If you would like to publish this infomation on your website, include thefollowing information with a direct link to http://www.framesdirect.com
Dr. Dhavid Cooper and Dr. Guy Hodgson are the founders of FramesDirect.comwhich has been recognized for outstanding customer service andsatisfaction. FramesDirect.com is fast becoming the global leader ofprescription eyeglasses, contact lenses and sun glasses sales online.=============================================================
The Secret Of Buying Discount Contacts
If you are looking to buying your contacts at a discount online you need to be very careful. Like anything else you will need to do your homework to protect your wallet. Here is some helpful Read more...
Fda Approves Lasik Eye Surgery
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a new custom lasik procedure in September of 2005. This new procedure can now treat many patients who were previously ineligible for the surgery. Read more...
We strive to provide only quality articles, so
if there is a specific topic related to contact lens that
you would like us to cover, please contact us at any time.
And again, thank you to those contributing
daily to our your eye surgery website.